All the latest news & weekly results from all teams and all divisions

Green Lane CC

Club Details
Green & Yellow
Home Ground: LS19 7HR
Contact: Sue Hartley
The club was originally formed after the Great War.The initial intention was to provide recreational activities for employees of Green Lane dyeworks.We started life in the summer of 1919, as members of the Yorkshire Council.The club spent some sixteen seasons in this league, being rewarded by becoming joint champions in 1930. In 1936 we were founder members of the Airedale and Wharfedale Senior Cricket League. In this golden age of the great game, older members still remember the excellent wicketkeeper, Don Brennan,who started his cricket career at the club, and went on to complete a notable career with both Yorkshire and England. Don is reported to have stated how much he enjoyed his cricket at Green Lane in those pre-war seasons. Sadly, Don Brennan died in 1984,but older members still remember him with affection, the Don Brennan Cup being a lasting tribute to his memory.

The Second World War then intervened,and the club was forced to resign its membership of the league, due to a majority of the players either enlisting in H.M Forces in the early months of 1939, or volunteering to help the war effort by working at the local ammunitions factories. The club at this time still enforced the original rule that players must be employed at the mill, and this led to the club disbanding until after the war.

We became founder members of the Dales Council League in 1956,and completed a very successful six years in the league,winning the league title in 1956,1958,1960 and 1961,adding the Pool Paper Mills Cup to the trophy cabinet in 1957,1959 and 1960.

We were re-elected to the Airedale and Wharfedale Senior League in 1961. The season of 1962 saw the club become the first Division B side to appear in the Waddilove Cup Final, when on a wet Bank Holiday we lost in a close game to Silsden. In the season Trevor Gill scored 183 against Tong Park, setting a then League record. The most traumatic time in the club`s history came in 1973, when we lost the Green Lane ground due to building developments. It necessitated the club playing on the Bradford University Ground at Woodhall, before being permanently rehoused on the present ground at Nunroyd Park.

The club has gained Divison A status on four occasions,1963,1969,1977 and most recently in 2001. The second team acheiving similar respective promotions in 1963,1977,1993 and 2000. The 1977 season culminated in promotion for both teams and the winning of the J.C Stone and Burmah Oil Trophies.