All the latest news & weekly results from all teams and all divisions

New Rover CC

Club Colours
Red & Black
Home Ground: LS16 8HF
Contact:Mel Rueben
In 1934, Whilst at a Scout Camp a group of Rover Scouts decided to form a cricket team. Lost for a name they decided to call themselves New Rover Cricket Club after the scout camp. For the next fifty years or so, only Interrupted by the Second World War, when numerous members were called up for King and Country, the club continued almost unchanged, playing friendly cricket on the same pitch at Soldiers Field Roundhay using a little second hand garden shed they called a pavilion which when erected cost the princely sum of £20.

In 1988, after years of playing friendly cricket the club took a monumental decision to apply to join The Dale Council Cricket League.

With a flourishing club and a steadily progressing league side, the cramped, overworked,surroundings and rapidly deteriorating facilities at Soldiers Field was stifling the club`s ambitious plans to become a force in the local cricket scene.

A subcommittee was formed for the sole purpose to find a suitable site for a new cricket ground. Those dreams became a reality In May 1993 when a 7.5acre sloping cornfield in Adel was transformed into a cricket ground.

In 1998, it was decided that the time had come to play in a higher standard of cricket. Consequently the club applied and were accepted as members of The Leeds Cricket League and, in that same year, the club`s new pavilion. which was partly funded by a generous Sports England lottery grant, was opened.

In 1999 a unique partnership with Yorkshire County Cricket Club was set up, with the county`s Academy squad using the club facilities for midweek and the odd Sunday game. Keith Boyce the former head groundsman at Headingley was appointed as full time groundsman. The Yorkshire first and second teams squads now frequently use the club`s superb facilities and the England test team netted at the ground in preparation for the 2004 Test match against New Zealand at Headingley.

With the imminent and sad decline of The Leeds Cricket League the club was successful in their application to join The Wetherby Cricket League for the 2000 season.

After 5 years of a steady rise to the top division of The Wetherby League and having a number of players selected for the league representative squads, an opportunity for the club to further advance its playing standards arose when a vacancy occurred in The AiredaleWharfedale Senior Cricket League The club applied to join The League and were successfully elected for the 2005 season.

Who would have thought, that back in 1934 a group of Rover Scouts playing an impromptu game of cricket would be the forerunners of the modern day New Rover Cricket Club and not only partners of the greatest cricket club of them all,

Yorkshire CCC, but now a fledgling member of the renowned Airedale Wharfedale Senior Cricket League,
Finally, one remaining founder member is still alive to day, Billy Vincent the club`s present Life President. Bernard “Seggy” Seaton the club`s founder member and first Life President who was known in local cricket circles as “Mr New Rover” sadly passed away in June 2001 at the ripe old age of 87. Through Seggy`s efforts and sterling dedication the club somehow survived from late summer.1939 to 1946 when no cricket was possible during the hostilities. Seggy even managed to keep in touch with every club member who were serving in the Armed forces no matter where in the world they were stationed. Without Seggy`s dedication, it is doubtful that the club would now still be in existence. We at New Rover are sure “Seggy” would have been very proud of his beloved cricket club joining the AiredaleWharfedale Senior Cricket League.