All the latest news & weekly results from all teams and all divisions

Olicanian CC

Club Detials
Green, Black and White
Home Ground: LS29 0AA

The club was formed in 1922 by the old boys of the Ilkley Grammar School. The name of the club was taken from the Roman name for Ilkley.

Initially the team played friendly matches only, at various venues in Ilkley, maintaining close links with the Grammar School thus ensuring a steady supply of players.

In 1949, the club moved its ground to the present location in Denton Road. Although the facilities at the time were very basic, with the changing rooms consisting of a bell tent and the tea room being made from an old fish hut!

Friendly fixtures continued to be played until 1975, when the decision was taken to play competitive league cricket and the club joined the Dales Council League enjoying 12 successful years there with the 2nd XI winning the Cawthorne Cup in 1981 and again in 1984, the same year that both the 1st and 2nd teams won their respective league titles. The feat was repeated in 1987 and that year also saw the 1st XI making an unsuccessful appearance in the cup final.

In 1987 the club joined the Leeds and District League. The 2nd XI reached two Wood Cup finals in 1988 and 1996 and in 1998 the 2nd XI gained promotion.

In the year 2000 the club joined the Airedale and Wharfedale Senior Cricked League and in the last 5 years considerable improvement has been seen both on and off the field.

The new pavilion was opened in 2002 and in the same year the square was extended by two new wickets. In 2003 the new outdoor net facility was completed and a much needed water pipe laid to the square. The netting facility was improved in 2004 with the purchase of a bowling machine. The finance of both these netting facilities was met by sponsors and the ‘Sportsmatch’ organisation

In 2005 the first XI gained promotion to the ‘B’ Division of the League, the seconds ended mid-table. The U13’s and U11’s won their respective Leagues and the U9’s came joint second. The year 2005 saw the club purchase a new motorised roller, new covers and by the commencement of 2006 a new 2 bay junior netting facility will be completed. In 2006 the juniors were extended by an U15 team.

As well as the 1st and 2nd XI playing league cricket the club also runs a 3rd XI as well.

Olicanian Cricket club has an extremely active and hard working committee who are determined to bring success to the club both on and off the field.

The club is always searching for new players and anybody who is interested should contact the Chairman David house or the secretary Nigel Law.