All the latest news & weekly results from all teams and all divisions

Beckwithshaw CC

Club Details
Red & Royal Blue
Home Ground: HG3 1QL
The club was founded in 1885, and the early teams comprised of the village Squire, the vicar, schoolteacher and local farmers. The cricket field, (together with the Village Hall and football field) was left to the village under a charity trust by the Squire Mr. J.A.Williams. Early games were played against teams in the Nidderdale area, and transport to games was by horsedrawn wagons. The club went upmarket when the Squire provided his Vulcan lorry complete with solid tyres and a chauffeur for transport to all games. The lorry could carry 20 people but the chauffeur’s lack of confidence in the engine and brakes meant all the passengers were made to dismount and walk up and down hills!

The club subsequently joined the Nidderdale League and the Harrogate and District Evening League, enjoying the first of many Addison Cup victories in 1924. At this time the field was a fenced off square in a meadow, with scores generally doubling after haytime!

When the club left the Nidderdale League in the early 1930s and joined the now defunct Harrogate League, the field was cut and the club shared it with a successful mixed hockey team who used the ground over the winter.

Following the postwar reformation of the Nidderdale League, the club rejoined and won the Championship in 1965 and 1969. A new era then dawned with what was without doubt the best step forward in the club’s history joining the Airedale and Wharfedale Senior League in 1977.

Over the years three families: Holmes, Stott and Towers have been stalwart supporters both on and off the field. In the 20s and 30s, the club’s outstanding player was Ernest Stott, one of the finest all-round cricketers in the area.

When the League Championship was won in 1995, the achievement was dedicated to Howard Stott, affectionately known as “Mr. Beckwithshaw”. Howard was the foundation on which Beckwithshaw Cricket Club grew over many years, and in the Championship year it was fitting that Howard was the club President and Chairman.

Howard died suddenly in1996 and is sadly missed, but his memory and endeavours are not to be forgotten. The club has gates at the entrance to the ground in his memory as well as our magnificent bar which bears his name.

Other leading members of the club have been the Bell family: Hugh, Richard and Arthur, and the Ford family, three of whom, George, Kenny and Rodney, have all captained the 1st XI. David Grant joined the Evening League side in 1959 and has since captained it and the 1st Xl to many successes.

Then there was Williarn (Willie) Gill, Ist Xl scorer for many years. In 1999 Williarn decided to retire from the scorebox permanently and enjoyed strolling the grounds of the AireWharfe League on match days. The present Chairman, David Wilson, is also a longserving member of the club and currently captains the 3rd Xl.