All the latest news & weekly results from all teams and all divisions

Alwoodley CC

Club Details
Colours:
Oxford Blue & Chocolate Brown
Home Ground: LS17 5PR
Website: www.alwoodley.play-cricket.com
Contact:clive.vallance@googlemail.com

The Club was formed 1935 when Alwoodley was a rapidly developing community.A group of cricketing ‘nuts’ decided that a Cricket Club was one amenity that they could not do without. Having found a field on King Lane, opposite the end of Alwoodley Lane, they cleared it of stone and livestock and a cricket ground was created. A second hand pavilion was purchased, dismantled, transported to its new home, re-erected, painted and ‘Alwoodley CC’ was born. The aims of the new club were to play friendly cricket and to enjoy the fellowship of teammates and opponents alike, thereby being part of the true glory of traditional English cricket.

Within 3 years the Club had move to Goodrick Lane, next to Sandmoor Golf Club, and was acknowledged as the most beautiful ground for miles around.

1952 season came to the end and the Club moved again, taking the Pavilion, to its present site – Crag Lane.

1953 was the first year that the prestigious Boxing Day fixture against Northern Cricket Society was played. The BBC was there annually to report on the match and stars such as Brian Close and Don Wilson were regulars over the years. The match raised quite a lot of money for charity.